Quito, Cuenca, and Cañar
September 28 – October 3, 2015
Monday, September 28, 2015; Quito
9:00 – 5:00 The following will include the IA group meeting the Archivists, getting to know the repositories, and forging connections for future collaboration.
- Universidad Central Ecuador
- Asamblea Nacional del Ecuador
- Archivo Histórico Municipal de Quito
- Archivo Bloomberg
Tuesday, September 29, 2015; Quito
- Pontificia Universidad Católica de Ecuador (PUCA)
Wednesday September 30; Cuenca
10:00 Fly to Cuenca
16:00 – 18:00 Visit Museo Remigio Crespo
Thursday, October 1, 2015; Cañar
Travel to Cañar
9:30 – 12:30 Meeting with Indigenous Committee at Instituto Quilloac
- Main topic will be what is a digital archive, why is it important for preservation of Cañari cultural heritage, examples of how other indigenous groups have created digital archives, and how will the indigenous community maintain control of content.
2:00 – 4:00 Meeting with Casa de la Cultura and Municipality of Cañar
- A members will talk with members of the community about the importance of developing a digital archive for preserving visual history of region and town and families.
- Presentations of the digital collections/digital initiatives at IA member institution: What they digitize, how they deal with born-digital, how they handle reproductions/copyright, any new specific projects (oral histories, etc.)
Return to Cuenca
Friday, October 2, 2015; Cuenca
9:00 – 1:00 Repository visits in Cuenca (Casa de la Cultura, La Curia, Convento Las Conceptas)
3:00 – 6:00 Conference and reception at the library of Museo Pumapungo, Ministerio de Cultura
- Introductions about our archival work in the US, introduction to the Itinerant Archivists, project
- Roundtables with Museum staff:
- Topics relevant to Ecuador’s pressing need for archival professionals, proper training, the creation of a digital archive.
Saturday October 3; Quito
Return to Quito
Free time in Quito
- Tickets available for Quito Tour Bus courtesy of the Directorate of The Municipality of Quito for Archives and Records Management; http://quitotourbus.com/
Please see Information and Resources for links to websites of the institutions and areas visited. Also, there you will find other information about IA’s work.